Wednesday, October 23, 2019

From Pencil to keystroke...



Up, down, over there, put it where? 
How does it work?
What does it do?
Can I try? Well if I can't touch it, 
if I can't work with it 
how do I know it works

     The curious mind of the kinesthetic learner or the hands on kid. This is me. Even today I learn with my hands and eyes, through repetition, through doing it myself. It was hard learning as a child from books, because I could only read about it, but how was I to try it for myself? Ah! Through the involvement of physical activities, incorporated by my teachers. That was years ago, you know, before the internet. Before you could simulate difficult tasks at a screen. Now instead of finding more ways to be creative with text we find more ways to be creative with technology. A screen that lights up with good graphics is great all the way up until I have to problem solve. The ideal behind the use of technology is to make things easier, but I think in the process we loose or maybe just don't use as often the skills to problem solve or learn how something work when we take away some of the benefits of hands on learning. For me, this would be a struggle. I mean there are somethings you have to do to learn the best, somethings just don't teach well on a screen. Learning to incorporate both in a lesson would be interesting, but certainly possible. With time, things change they evolve, education, learning, and teaching don't look the same today, as it did 10 years ago as it will 5 years from now,
I suppose as an educator, the challenge is creativity to find ways to reach every type of learner.


2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree anymore with you. Growing up I myself was a very hands on and visual learner. Reading content only did so much for me as I was more intrigued or more involved when it came to doing hands on tasks. It's like the old saying practice makes perfect. The more repetition I had the better off I was at absorbing what we were laerning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautifully written post! Thank you for sharing your thoughts in such a well written and thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete

Module 4 Blog Post

For module  four, we  were assigned to read chapters nine, ten, and eleven and of the three  I  think chapter nine was the most interesting...