Wednesday, October 9, 2019

The Good With The Bad


     She was just having a little fun with the boy from class on google chats. How was she supposed to know it would end this Bad. I mean what was one picture going hurt? Right? Wrong. Working in a high school with news and information at every-bodies finger tips all day, all the time, is fine and dandy until somebody gets hurt. Around the age of 16, I’d guess peer pressure is at its height, in high school. Chatting on google hangouts he asked her for a nude picture or as close as he could get. She pondered for a moment-- at least that what she told us, should she? It was just one picture what could it hurt? So she sent it, and later she paid for it.
Sitting in the deans office was a girl under the pressure. It came out that the boy she'd been chatting with was in her group project and what was supposed to be project collaboration turned conversation of interest turned into a threat: if she didn't sleep with him, the entire school will see her pictures to him. 

Is it good or is it bad, technology in school is evident and pretty soon as it already seems to be will be the norm. With that I consider it a blessing and a curse the best thing but sometimes the most dangerous thing at the same time. We need technology in creative spaces as platforms for students to be as creative as possible but a young malleable mind is a dangerous one as well, circumstances like this one, happen more than we like to think. I think technology in school is great for the educational process but it is necessity to have more talks with our students about internet etiquette. All in all I'd say we have to take the good with the bad.   

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Technology is GREAT in an educational, learning environment. How are we supposed to know what else these students are using on their school iPads when we turn our backs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so interesting how our students are able to put their own naughty spin on their technology. You'd think, that when used properly, google chats could have the potential to be a pretty awesome thing but they always find a way...

    This is a weird situation because you totally don't want to impose on your students rights to technology and privacy BUT HOW DO WE KEEP THEM SAFE?

    ReplyDelete

Module 4 Blog Post

For module  four, we  were assigned to read chapters nine, ten, and eleven and of the three  I  think chapter nine was the most interesting...